28 Sep How To Do A Giveaway On Instagram The Right Way
With all the changes Instagram has done over the years to limit growth hacking, giveaways seem to be gaining in popularity. But are Instagram giveaways the right way for your brand to grow online? Do they work, should you do them and what are best practices? Learn everything you need to know on how to do a giveaway on Instagram the right way.
Today we’ll be discussing
- What is an Instagram follower loop?
- Are Instagram follower loops worth it?
- How to do a giveaway on instagram?
- Should I do a giveaway on instagram?
- Instagram scams to stay away from
- Will you gain followers from a giveaway?
What is an Instagram Follower Loop?
A follower loop is a mechanism to beat the Instagram algorithm. Where multiple people pool together to make a big giveaway offer then pass around followers in the giveaway by tagging the next business in the loop. Each business posts the same time tagging the next business in the loop.
The organizer creates a post and tags business A.
Business A posts the same photo and tags business B.
Business B posts the same photo and tags business C.
C-Z follows this pattern.
Are Instagram Follower Loops Worth It?
No. 90% of the time the followers are not high quality followers who will stick to your content and engage with you long term. There is a large drop off rate typically of 50% or more.
If your only goal is to generate followers then this might be a good mechanism but for the far majority of business this won’t work well.
Instagram follower loops are similar to celebrity giveaway posts.
How To Do A Giveaway On Instagram The Right Way?
Every Instagram giveaway should be part of a larger strategy with key metrics and a budget.
Typically giveaways work to increase brand awareness, increase engagement, and grow your audience. You are unlikely to drive a ton of sales though giveaways.
That said running an Instagram giveaway is rather easy to do.
First you choose a prize.
When choosing your prize you have to look at two things. How large of a prize you want to offer and who is your target audience.
The larger the prize will have more people enter the contest. There is a downside though large prizes like cars, vacations, and computers are going to attract a broad audience of people who may not be interested in what you have to offer.
That is where the second part comes in, who is your target audience? What sort of large prize would they LOVE but not the average consumer?
A couple of examples that work well:
- For the community of energy holistic healer people, a $5000 amethyst cathedral geode is going to make them excited but your average consumer may not be that interested.
- The Yoga community would love a brand new yoga mat and new Lululemon outfit.
- The car heads are gonna love tickets to the muscle car expo
Products work really well for Instagram giveaways
The second thing to do is figure out contest rules. Typically this is put in the Instagram post description. You’ll want to say something like:
For a chance to win, you must:
- Follow this page
- Like the post
- Tag a friend
Winner will be picked at random by XX date.
To run a successful Instagram giveaway you want to drive the “giveaway loop.” This is done through having people tag friends, driving new people to the giveaway and getting more people engaged.
How to pick a winner is as simple as an online dice roller, an online app, or grabbing a winner from the comments section. Appsoteos is a free instagram giveaway picker up to 1000 comments. This is honestly a perfect solution for most giveaways.
Should I Do A Giveaway On Instagram?
The short answer is yes, if the giveaway is a part of a greater marketing campaign. As giving away products and services regularly can be a great way to build your audience and brand loyalty.
Here is a sample giveaway strategy that you can use:
- Pick a niche prize that your audience will love and use the template from earlier in the article.
- Promote your giveaway across your social media following and email list
- Run Instagram advertisements to the giveaway.
- Retargeting your audience for further exposure with your followers
- Use Lookalike audience to gain new followers
- Leverage micro-influencers with similar audiences
- Collaborate and do a mini giveaway with each micro influencer so they shout out your big giveaway on your Instagram page.
- After the giveaway ends run a retargeting campaign for a free gift to followers who sign up to email list.
Run this type of campaign over and over again will generate a ton of new followers and engagement on your Instagram page. As a brand giving away products or a service to grow your Instagram account is a very effective strategy.
Instagram Giveaway Scams To Stay Away From
Like anything else online there is always a dark side to giveaways. So as a consumer here are a few things to look out for and stay away from. The Instagram giveaway scams and spam so to speak.
The most obvious scam is when they don’t deliver the product/service.
PRO TIP: Don’t ever give away personal information during a contest like social security number or Instagram password.
The “celebrity giveaway”
Typically these giveaways are “in collaboration” with a big celebrity like account. But in reality it’s not what it looks like.
Here is how the giveaway works.
The celebrity with 1.2 million followers will post the giveaway of something massive like an iPhone and $10,000 cash giveaway. They will say go over to account X and follow all their followers.
Account X will have 75 people they are following who they sold slots to for a large price point like $2000. Account X (which typically is owned/run by the celebrity) makes $150,000 off the giveaway and celebrity accounts will make $20,000 off the shoutout.
What happens next for anyone participating in these “giveaways.”
- You gain a shit ton of followers because people want to win the prize.
- As soon as the prize is pulled you will lose 50% of those new followers gained, because they just don’t give a shit about you.
- The ones who stay, around 20-30% of them at best will engage with you and the other 20-30% will become dead weight.
So you are paying for roughly 10-15% of whatever the followers are.
Let’s say you gain 10,000 new followers from this giveaway for $2000. At the end only 10% stay engaged. You’ve just paid $2000 for 1000 new followers. That is $2 a follower with the added deadweight of not engaged followers.
As Instagram Expert Emelina Spinelli shares, It’s much more effective to run an advertisement with good targeting for followers.
Will You Gain Followers From a Giveaway?
But expect the drop off.
Do Instagram giveaways work? Yes.
Follow the advice laid out in this article giveaway posts are super effective at building your following.
If you really want to grow your following, make sure you promote your giveaway on other social media, through advertisements and by leveraging your email list. If you are trying to generate leads for your business make sure you have a dedicated landing page for your giveaway.
Overall that is everything you need to know to run a successful Instagram giveaway and grow your brand.
Anything I miss? Leave a comment